Saturday, December 19, 2020

Tutorial for an Easy Padded Ornament


It's so hard to believe, but another holiday season is upon us! After what has been an incredibly challenging and difficult year for many, I know I'm not the only stitcher behind on Christmas gift stitching right now. So I'm sharing an older step-by-step photo tutorial - Final Finish: A Snowflake in Summer! - from way back in August 2013 that is perfect for last minute ornament assembly!



This type of flat, padded stitched ornament with twisted cording edging and tassel is the standard way of finishing stitched ornaments in my family, and I first learned how to do it from my Stitchy Guru Mother many years ago. These days, I've been experimenting more with ornaments laced over cardboard, for a firmer structured look, but these quick padded ornaments are great for sending in the mail - they are unbreakable and light! This makes them extremely easy to store too.


Here's an example of the step-by-step photos I took while making my ornament - here I'm showing how to make the padded insert from two layers of quilt batting. I hope you'll find the tutorial helpful, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments or e-mail me (my address is in the sidebar under the pretty postage stamps)! You can read more about the beautiful snowflake design - a freebie from Wyrdbyrd Designs - and my stitch choices in the original post

I added a lot of sparkle with seed beads and metallic thread!


If you make an ornament of your own using this tutorial, I'd love to see it! As the years pass by and I grow older, family traditions like these little padded ornaments mean so much more to me. They are stitched with love, and that is what really matters ❤ Wherever you are and however you are celebrating this year, I wish you health, happiness, creativity and much stitchy joy!!!


❄ Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year from Eglantine Stitchery ❄

1 comment:

gracie said...

Merry Christmas and a good New Year!